Starform Dragon Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is an academy that strives to be the best and to help others do the same.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
STARFORMDRAGON Time
Latest topics
» annoyance with stubborn duelist
BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 12:20 am by Komeiji Satori

» This is the last time you guys shall here from me
BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 2:50 am by Komeiji Satori

» Rules updated
BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 2:49 am by Komeiji Satori

» BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts
BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyFri May 09, 2014 1:13 am by Komeiji Satori

» Im open for challenges
BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyFri May 09, 2014 12:58 am by Komeiji Satori

» Tsuko's card teching 1: Cyber dragon DNA combo
BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyFri May 09, 2014 12:48 am by Komeiji Satori

» Members of sda
BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyFri May 09, 2014 12:28 am by Komeiji Satori

» greetings from darkmagican
BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyFri May 09, 2014 12:27 am by Komeiji Satori

» I got one!!!!!
BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 2:28 am by BanishedKing

Poll
should we have a tourney??
Yes?
BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts I_vote_lcap100%BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts I_vote_rcap
 100% [ 6 ]
No?
BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts I_vote_lcap0%BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6
Top posters
Komeiji Satori (179)
BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts I_vote_lcapBLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts I_voting_barBLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts I_vote_rcap 
! YugiMike ! (130)
BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts I_vote_lcapBLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts I_voting_barBLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts I_vote_rcap 
eneskristo (120)
Bozz12 (59)
Klaus Rose (59)
S∞perFluffy (46)
! ! !livetoduel (27)
Karizmo (25)
CrazyMon3y (22)
LD (19)
Duelist of the month

BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dr.Rook

Dr.Rook

BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts Empty
PostSubject: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Welcome to your first lesson. Today, I'll be talking about the basic deck concepts of yu-gi-oh and giving a short explanation for each. With something like 5000 cards in the game, it can be difficult to choose a deck to play, so this should give you the first of many tools you'll need to successfully choose and build a deck.

The Aggro deck:

The aggro deck focuses on beating their opponent to a pulp with monsters as quickly as possible. They rarely play enhancements for their monsters, such as equip spells, favouring the quantity over size ideal. Aggro has been the single most supported of the 3 basic deck concepts since the beginning of yugioh, from high attacking level 4 monsters to the myriad of special summon facilitating cards. Aggro decks can define formats (I'm looking at you, teleDAD) and they are frequently one of the decks to beat at the highest levels (Chaos Dragons, Dragon Rulers, Mermails). They are simple and effective. No matter where you go to play, you will run into a large number of these.

The Control Deck:

This deck truly focuses on saying "No." to your opponent. It endeavours to grind it's opponent's resources to nothing to make way for a comparatively weak win condition. Control decks require some of the most skill-intensive play to be seen in yu-gi-oh (goat control, dino rabbit, evilswarm) careful management of resources is necessary for the implicit grind games that control decks go for. Usually, the longer the game is, the better shape a control deck will be in. When playing a control deck, it's important to do research about metagames. Gravekeepers aren't too effective in a format that defines itself by summoning from the deck. You have to have at least a passable knowledge of what is in your opponent's deck, what it can or can't be do and when to use your valuable counters.

The solitaire deck:

Truly, this is the kind of deck that is the most hated of all. The deck that simply says "sit there while i win, please". Decks such as Final Countdown, Exodia, Chain Burn and Magical Scientist OTK adorn the limited list of solitaire decks. Though largely considered unskillful, degenerate and trolly, the deck does have some very strong points in specific metagames. In a format where counters are few and far between, a deck like final countdown or exodia can experience some success. The deck is rather autopilot in game 1 of any match, but the real skill in playing a solitaire deck comes post-sideboard, games 2 and 3. Game 1 is won when you build the deck, game 2 or 3 are won with the careful application of resources. and side deck tech.

In conclusion:
Though the best decks are never mutually exclusive to any concept, understanding which concept suits your playstyle and the current metagame, be it at your local tournaments, here in the academy or on the worldwide scale, sets you up for success.

Black Dormitory homework:
I want you to build me a unique deck** that showcases one of the 3 concepts (Using the april 1st,2014 TCG forbidden and limited list, with any cards from Legend of Blue-Eyes to Legacy of the Valiant) Marks will be awarded for deck creativity. I would also like a card by card explanation for your specific choices. Lastly, i want you to convince me of WHY your deck is a good representation of your chosen concept. Give me a reason to play it. I will choose what I believe to be the best deck (without testing it) based on your argument. Be truthful and frank, I need to know which deck will give me the edge. I will also schedule a tournament in the near future, where you will be required to use the deck you created in a single elimination tournament, culminating with the winner facing off against me (I will be using the deck i chose from yours).
Back to top Go down
Dr.Rook

Dr.Rook

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 3:22 pm

Black Dormitory homework due April 4th, 2014.

Remember to use the April 1st 2014 forbidden and limited list, which you can find at yugioh-card.com
Back to top Go down
Kagiri12

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 3:24 pm

But what if dueling network isnt up?
Back to top Go down
Kagiri12

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 3:25 pm

I already made a neo spacian deck.
so i guess my homework is done.
Back to top Go down
Dr.Rook

Dr.Rook

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 5:20 pm

Remember to write out your reasoning for card choices, you will be marked!
Back to top Go down
Kagiri12

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 11:40 am

yes sir
Back to top Go down
BanishedKing

BanishedKing

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 9:44 am

Where is disaster dragons classified in?
I think its a mixture of aggro and control so its an aggro-control
am I right??
Back to top Go down
Dr.Rook

Dr.Rook

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 12:23 pm

truly great decks never adhere to one or the other.
Back to top Go down
BanishedKing

BanishedKing

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 2:56 am

I made my disaster dragon and blue-eyes dragon for aggro decks
main reason for disaster being aggro is because of red-eyes darkness metal dragon which can special summon dragons from the grave once per turn which can be deadly if u have a strong monster like blue-eyes in ur grave.
Blue-eyes deck well....because of blue-eyes lol.When u have kaibaman ad blue-eyes in ur hand then that's instant offense there also using maiden and white stone that's a very aggro deck.
So that's my homework
Back to top Go down
Dr.Rook

Dr.Rook

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 2:50 pm

send me the decklists people!
Back to top Go down
XatuLover55

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 8:51 pm

sir i sent u mine
Back to top Go down
Komeiji Satori
Admin
Admin
Komeiji Satori

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Who is Dr rook
also I am an admin to this forum
Back to top Go down
XatuLover55

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Tsuko Motou wrote:
Who is Dr rook
also I am an admin to this forum

he is the new black dorm teacher sir or ma'am
Back to top Go down
Komeiji Satori
Admin
Admin
Komeiji Satori

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyFri May 09, 2014 12:22 am

ok... no one PMed me to say there were teachers lol

and I am a sir, but you don't have to be that respectful to me...

cause I am like you, a person, not authority....
so don't fear me
friend me instead

Last edited by Tsuko Motou on Fri May 09, 2014 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..............)
Back to top Go down
Komeiji Satori
Admin
Admin
Komeiji Satori

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts EmptyFri May 09, 2014 1:13 am

@Dr.Rook

there is one more deck you might need to mention
Incoherent Summons Deck:
this is like the Aggro deck but 1 key thing.. most of this decks Specials can't be chained (Yes I am referring to Pendulums) and can spam lots of random monsters and potentially OTK/FTK [winning 1 turn] your oponent and make there head spin....

and good use of the word "Aggro" *Kudos to you Dr.Rook*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts   BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts Empty

Back to top Go down

BLACK DORMITORY Lesson 1: Basic Deck Concepts
Page 1 of 1